Monday, May 30, 2011

On the Mend

My strategy of taking it easy and asking my family to help out a bit more, in order to heal my aching back, is paying off!  My back is feeling much better (although not 100%).  I am happy to say I can now get out of my car without grimacing and with no help from my kids.  My son Owen has  now mastered the skill of doing laundry all by himself, and I had a good excuse for Nora and I to get our first pedicures together over the weekend (only because I couldn't bend down to do it myself of course).  I do believe we must listen to our bodies when they are calling out to us and allow them the time they need to heal.  It's good to slow down and take a break from time to time.

Being in a horizontal position for a good chunk of my weekend I watched a couple of very interesting movies this  weekend.  One being the classic, The Sting.  Crazy I've never seen it before.  Loved the music and the fact that the story kept me guessing till the very end.

The other film I watched was SurfWise.   And I thought selling a bunch of our stuff and moving our family into a smallish condo downtown Minneapolis was "living with less."  SurfWise is a documentary about a Stanford educated Dr. who becomes disgusted with his materialistic way of life, leaves his practice, decides to surf for a living, marries a woman, has 9 children with her and raises them all in a 24 ft. trailer while living on different beaches around the US.  They chose to live with very little and at times were literally down to their last dime.  Oh, and none of the kids went to any type of school.  Fascinating and sometimes kind of disturbing story about a very "different" way of living and raising a family.  I loved it!

 http://surfwisefilm.com/html/index.html 

p.s. - it's an instant download on Netflix!

No comments:

Post a Comment